Re: Describing Stuff You Like using Turtle

On 9/22/12 11:47 AM, Nathan wrote:
> Kingsley Idehen wrote:
>> On 9/22/12 8:26 AM, Hugh Glaser wrote:
>>> Sorry, I realise this is not exactly on topic (which is about
>>> crafting turtle, not specifically about likes), but…
>>>
>>> It reminds me of some fun we had in 2004.
>>> Ah, halcyon days - those balmy times before Linked Data came along.
>>> We did a document about it for the 1st (and only? :-) ) FOAF Workshop.
>>> http://eprints.soton.ac.uk/id/eprint/265453
>>>
>>> whatilike.org is still there, but seems to have lost its 3store,
>>> which is not surprising after 8 years and several machine moves.
>>> I guess I must have spent a good few bucks keeping the domain alive,
>>> waiting for the time (for one of us) to get back to it.
>>>
>>> Who knows?
>>> Maybe this will prompt someone.
>>> Any one?
>>
>> Hugh,
>>
>> I find this on topic.
>>
>> The key point we need to revisit is that triple or quad stores aren't
>> mandatory for endeavors like this. The pattern can be much simpler,
>> and it goes something like this (circa. 2012):
>>
>> 1. Signup for storage services via the likes of Dropbox, SkyDrive,
>> Amazon S3 etc.. (left Google Drive, Box.NET off the list because they
>> don't support mime type text/plain) -- you get 2GB free on average
>> these days
>>
>> 2. Create a local Turtle document
>>
>> 3. Upload it to your service provider's folder (these are
>> automatically part of your local storage setup, post installation, so
>> no manual mounting is required)
>>
>> 4. Share you new Linked Data doc with the world
>>
>> 5. Linked Data aware user agents take care of the visualization etc..
>>
>> All of this is now possible without:
>>
>> 1. Domain ownership
>> 2. DNS server access and admin control
>> 3. Web server access and admin control -- no need for URL re-write rules
>> 4. A SPARQL compliant triple or quad store
>> 5. HttRange-14 distractions and confusion re. URI disambiguation and
>> patterns .
>>
>> It just works.
>>
>> When folks realize that they can express their Likes and DisLikes
>> (amongst other things) in simple Linked Data documents over which
>> they possess full access control, the game changes completely. The
>> murkiness around Linked Data comprehension vaporizes.
>
> Has anybody done a quick turtle editor with an xmlHttpRequest upload
> straight to S3 yet? it could make it even easier..

Yes, ODS-Briefcase mounts any of the following:

1. Amazon S3
2. Dropbox
3. Microsoft Skydrive
4. Google Drive
5. Box.NET
6. etc..

For 1-3 mime type support is fine, so one you save the Turtle you can
access your data via ODS-Briefcase URLs or the actual storage service
URLs. As for the others, you need ODS-Briefcase URLs since they don't
support mime properly and won't even handle requests for text/plain.

That said, a Turtle editor is a tool, I believe end users need to start
without any tools in the mix. This enables then understand the basics
and power of Linked Data en route to appreciate the productivity gains
that tools ultimately offer.  As I said, there's been a premature
optimization mistake that's stifled appreciation of the "deceptively
simple" aspects of Linked Data.

Links:

1. http://bit.ly/QuFpNA -- various post about mounting storage services
to ODS-Briefcase
2. http://bit.ly/OfRwAL -- ODS-Briefcase home page
3. http://turtled.net/ -- another editor, my only qualm is an
outstanding bug (from one of its library dependencies) that stops it
handling my samples.

Kingsley