Re: Describing Stuff You Like using Turtle

Kingsley Idehen wrote:
> On 9/22/12 8:26 AM, Hugh Glaser wrote:
>> Sorry, I realise this is not exactly on topic (which is about crafting
>> turtle, not specifically about likes), but…
>>
>> It reminds me of some fun we had in 2004.
>> Ah, halcyon days - those balmy times before Linked Data came along.
>> We did a document about it for the 1st (and only? :-) ) FOAF Workshop.
>> http://eprints.soton.ac.uk/id/eprint/265453
>>
>> whatilike.org is still there, but seems to have lost its 3store, which
>> is not surprising after 8 years and several machine moves.
>> I guess I must have spent a good few bucks keeping the domain alive,
>> waiting for the time (for one of us) to get back to it.
>>
>> Who knows?
>> Maybe this will prompt someone.
>> Any one?
>
> Hugh,
>
> I find this on topic.
>
> The key point we need to revisit is that triple or quad stores aren't
> mandatory for endeavors like this. The pattern can be much simpler, and
> it goes something like this (circa. 2012):
>
> 1. Signup for storage services via the likes of Dropbox, SkyDrive,
> Amazon S3 etc.. (left Google Drive, Box.NET off the list because they
> don't support mime type text/plain) -- you get 2GB free on average these
> days
>
> 2. Create a local Turtle document
>
> 3. Upload it to your service provider's folder (these are automatically
> part of your local storage setup, post installation, so no manual
> mounting is required)
>
> 4. Share you new Linked Data doc with the world
>
> 5. Linked Data aware user agents take care of the visualization etc..
>
> All of this is now possible without:
>
> 1. Domain ownership
> 2. DNS server access and admin control
> 3. Web server access and admin control -- no need for URL re-write rules
> 4. A SPARQL compliant triple or quad store
> 5. HttRange-14 distractions and confusion re. URI disambiguation and
> patterns .
>
> It just works.
>
> When folks realize that they can express their Likes and DisLikes
> (amongst other things) in simple Linked Data documents over which they
> possess full access control, the game changes completely. The murkiness
> around Linked Data comprehension vaporizes.

Has anybody done a quick turtle editor with an xmlHttpRequest upload
straight to S3 yet? it could make it even easier..

Best,

Nathan

>> On 19 Sep 2012, at 19:44, Kingsley Idehen <kidehen@openlinksw.com> wrote:
>>
>>> All,
>>>
>>> As I've often stated, there's a premature optimization bug in the
>>> Linked Data narrative. We early adopters concluded -- incorrectly --
>>> that nobody would ever need to craft Linked Data documents by hand.
>>> Of course, a lot of that had to do with RDF/XML and Turtle's
>>> protracted journey towards W3C recommendation status. Anyway,
>>> focusing on the present, we have an opportunity to fix the
>>> aforementioned narrative bug by revisiting the value of crafting
>>> Linked Data documents by hand.
>>>
>>> I've dropped a simple post showcasing the use of a Turtle document to
>>> describe some of the things I like [1].
>>>
>>> Why is Turtle important?
>>> People master new concepts by exercise. Crafting Turtle documents by
>>> hand brings focus back to subject-predicate-object or
>>> entity-attribute-value concept comprehension, with regards to basic
>>> sentence structure etc..
>>>
>>> How does it aid Linked Data demystification etc?
>>>
>>> It adds a Do-It-Yourself dimension that boils down to constructing a
>>> local Turtle document and publishing it to the Web, via a plethora of
>>> storage services that remove the following hurdles:
>>>
>>> 1. Domain Ownership
>>> 2. DNS Server access and admin level control
>>> 3. HTTP Server access and admin level control
>>> 4. URI pattern issues confusion and distraction.
>>>
>>> Once end-users understand the basics, reinforced by simple exercises,
>>> it equips them with the foundation and critical context for tools
>>> appreciation.
>>>
>>> Turtle is very important to Linked Data comprehension. Its a syntax
>>> that's user profile agnostic, unlike others that ultimately server
>>> specific programmer profiles:
>>>
>>> 1. Turtle -- everyone
>>> 2. HTML+Microdata -- HTML programmers
>>> 3. (X)HTML+RDFa -- (X)HTML programmers
>>> 4. JSON-LD -- Javascript programmers