Re: Property Guidance

From: Richard Cyganiak <richard@cyganiak.de>
Date: Thu, 25 Oct 2012 20:09:27 +0100
Cc: public-lod community <public-lod@w3.org>
To: Leigh Dodds <leigh@ldodds.com>
Hi Leigh,

I can see the appeal and time-saving potential — “Just take this damn flowchart and get out of my office!” ;-)

On 25 Oct 2012, at 15:08, Leigh Dodds wrote:
> As an exercise I drafted a table (available in a Google Spreadsheet
> [1]) to start mapping out some guidance for Equivalence Links [2].
> Does anyone have any comments?

To link from a property to a skos:Concept, you can use qb:Concept [3]. This has the unintended side effect of turning the property into a qb:ComponentProperty, but otherwise it has the right semantics. The use of this property outside of a Data Cube definition hasn't really come up as a use case so far.

Personally I happily use skos:closeMatch between concepts and owl:Things. I don't find any of the arguments for countries being disjoint from concepts terribly compelling.

Another resource type you may want to add is skos:ConceptScheme. The question how classes and concept schemes relate comes up occasionally in Data Cube.

Another resource type is documents. This is where foaf:primaryTopic, wdrs:describedby, rdfs:isDefinedBy and so on fit in. This stretches the Equivalence Links pattern I suppose, but linking to Wikipedia articles as a way of establishing equivalence isn't totally unreasonable.

In discussions around the design of XKOS we've had a situation where foaf:focus turned out useful to relate one skos:Concept to another. But this was an esoteric use case involving the versioning of industrial classifications.

If you list broadMatch and narrowMatch, then you probably should also list subClassOf and subPropertyOf.

Best,
Richard

[3] http://www.w3.org/TR/vocab-data-cube/#ref_qb_concept