Re: Introducing the Knowledge Graph: things, not strings

Hi Dave,

On 2012-05-17, at 16:56, David Wood wrote:

> Hi Steve,
>
> On May 17, 2012, at 11:18, Steve Harris wrote:
>
>> On 2012-05-16, at 23:09, David Wood wrote:
>>> Still, Kingsley is right, too.  We are certainly busier than we have ever been, with no clear end in sight.  That's positive.
>>
>> It would feel much more positive if I thought we were trying to solve the right problems. It would be much easier to know if I knew what the right problems where though.
>
> The problems we are solving for our customers are:
> - Data sharing (sometimes for its own sake, such as governmental transparency) that avoids proprietary formats/licenses/products.
> - Enterprise application creation (using Linked Data to abstract away from proprietary storage technologies).
> - Enterprise application integration (using Linked Data to share application state).
>
> Those constitute the "right" problems for us because they address defined needs.

100% agreed, but I wasn't being at all clear in my meaning. My head was in a different space.

I was thinking more of the way in which we're developing the semantic web technology stack as a community - I'm not sure we really have these goals in mind most of the time but, at least to me, they are the important problems we can solve with these technologies.

- Steve