Re: Introducing the Knowledge Graph: things, not strings

On 5/17/12 10:06 AM, Barry Norton wrote:
> On 16/05/2012 23:55, Bernard Vatant wrote:
>>
>> Kingsley says they have Freebase, yes but Freebase stores only 22
>> million entities according to their own stats, which makes less than
>> 5% of the overall figure, since Google claims 500 million nodes in
>> the Knowledge Graph, and growing.  So I guess they have also DBpedia
>> and VIAF and Geonames and you name it ... whatever open and
>> structured they can put their hands on. Linked data stuff whatever
>> the format.
>
> Hmmm, don't forget this claim from the same SVP earlier (thanks to Dan
> Brickley for pointing it out privately when the new story hit... via
> the Daily Mail!... a few days ago):
>
> "In 2010, we acquired Freebase, an open-source knowledge graph, and in
> the time since we've grown it from 12 million interconnected entities
> and attributes to over 200 million."
> https://plus.google.com/115744399689614835150/posts/3vLRVL7C4QS
>
> I'm not so sure that the Knowledge Graph (tm) (keep out) (trespassers
> will be prosecuted) is so different from Freebase (yes, plus Geonames,
> etc.)
>
> Barry

Yes,  that plus many other LOD cloud data sources. As a data farmer, its
quite easy to know who comes by the farm etc.. Google has been visiting
actively since the inception of DBpedia, LOD etc..

It's a webby game of chess :-)

Founder&  CEO
OpenLink Software
Company Web: http://www.openlinksw.com