Re: Thought: 207 Description Follows

On 28/03/12 17:07, Kjetil Kjernsmo wrote:
> Wed 28 mars 2012 16:35, Dave Reynolds wrote:
>> This particular piece of the puzzle is not a technology or tools issue.
>> The web hosting in those cases is perfectly capable of publishing static
>> files or allowing content in the head of an html document. It is an
>> organizational and social issue.
>
> I have no doubt this is often the case, but frankly, I'm not interested in
> those cases. They will always lag a decade behind, and the rest of the
> world would have to provide a compelling case for why they need to change
> their deeply ingrained practices.

It's not a question of lag, there are perfectly valid reasons for such
constraints. It's a question of helping the people doing the publishing
to be able to do so, despite such constraints.

> I think the focus should be on those, not on organisational practices that
> are hard to change anyway.

I didn't mean to imply we should should try to change organizational
practices, no way. I meant that we need technical approaches which
enable publishers to succeed *despite* such constraints. Not having to
worry about 303s would be one useful step in that direction. It is not a
magic bullet (after all, in many such situations a hash-URI is a
workable alternative).

Dave