Re: What would break? Re: httpRange-14

hi all

the fact that many HTTP clients do not support 303 properly is new to me and
I retire my statement that we should leave everything as it is.

I have some questions about what would break to the supporters of the
change proprosals.

Missing bookmarkability of NIRs can be a feature also. Imagine a FOAF
app asking the user about the address of his homepage, weblog or pages of
interest. The corresponding FOAF properties have a range of foaf:Document.
foaf:Document seems to be not a subclass of the IR class (it intentionally
includes physical documents) and I am not sure if Dan would see the IR class
as a subclass of foaf:Document but surely most IRs are foaf:Documents. So with
the current state, the probability that the user enters something that is not
a foaf:Document is reduced to a minimum.

What will become of this app in the future ? Will it have to check for hint's
that the URI is a "IR" (which should be enough to assume a foaf:Document) ?
Will it have to warn the user if it finds no hints ?

Or lets assume a crawler that crawls HTML pages, does a text analysis
and then generates triples like these:

 <x> a foaf:Document
 <x> dcterms:subject ex:skosconcept1
 <x> dcterms:subject ex:skosconcept2

Will people in this community actually refuse to write such a crawler after
one of the proposals has gone through ?

Regards,

Michael Brunnbauer

--