Re: Change Proposal for HttpRange-14

I am sympathetic, but...

On Mar 23, 2012, at 9:59 AM, Dave Reynolds wrote:

> On 23/03/12 14:33, Pat Hayes wrote:
>>
>> On Mar 23, 2012, at 8:52 AM, Jonathan A Rees wrote:
>>
>>> I am a bit dismayed that nobody seems to be picking up on the point
>>> I've been hammering on (TimBL and others have also pointed it out),
>>> that, as shown by the Flickr and Jamendo examples, the real issue is
>>> not an IR/NIR type distinction, but rather a distinction in the
>>> *manner* in which a URI gets its meaning, via instantiation (of some
>>> generic IR) on the one hand, vs. description (of *any* resource,
>>> perhaps even an IR) on the other. The whole
>>> information-resource-as-type issue is a total red herring, perhaps the
>>> most destructive mistake made by the httpRange-14 resolution.
>>
>> +1000. There is no need for anyone to even talk about "information resources". The important point about http-range-14, which unfortunately it itself does not make clear, is that the 200-level code is a signal that the URI *denotes* whatever it *accesses* via the HTTP internet architecture.
>
> Quite, and this signal is what the change proposal rejects.
>
> The proposal is that URI X denotes what the publisher of X says it denotes, whether it returns 200 or not.

And what if the publisher simply does not say anything about what the URi denotes? After all, something like 99.999% of the URIs on the planet lack this information. What, if anything, can be concluded about what they denote? The http-range-14 rule provides an answer to this which seems reasonably intuitive. What would be your answer? Or do you think there should not be any 'default' rule in such cases?

Pat