Re: Reuse

Thanks Barry, I think I understand now - and you are right.
(But of course we are all right as well, it depends on the angle, which is why this list can be so helpful, if painful.)

One answer might have been a proxy server that the consumer can use to map from one vocab to another (we actually do this, rather than putting some of the inference in.)
And this could be a public thingy.
But it still it wouldn't solve your problem.

While the big players only use the vocabs they care about for consuming, it is incumbent on a publisher who wants visibility to publish so that each of them can consume.
This is a similar situation to bing and google and yahoo all requiring different site maps or search markup or whatever.
And to the need to support IE7 and browser differences as well if you still want to.

So I don't think it is specifically a SemWeb/Linked Data problem; it is more akin to a SEO problem.
But as I say, you are right, it is a problem.
I have it myself, when I know that I want my data to be consumed by certain other apps that only know about certain ontologies.
And we need to be careful not to over claim and suggest we have the solution to it at this moment (unless the big boys change their ways).

But perhaps we do have a Linked Data story along the lines of what has been discussed - which is what the well-behaved small boys in Linked Data do, and what the Big Boys should do (and hopefully will, unless schema.org or fb becomes all-encompassing, which is quite possible.).

Best
Hugh

--
Hugh Glaser,