Re: Can we create better links by playing games?

On 21 June 2012 00:04, Martin Hepp <martin.hepp@ebusiness-unibw.org> wrote:

> I can only add to Elena's statement - in fact, it is rather the exception
> than the rule that a Semantic Web task can be turned into a good game that
> attracts large, non-nerd audiences. Over the years since our first
> experiments in 2007, I have come to the conclusion that it is way more
> rewarding to turn such tasks into Amazon Mechanical Turk tasks (HITs) than
> to develop games. If we are honest to ourselves, then all of the existing
> SW games fall short in a terribly in terms of gaming fun and
> understandability.
>
> The difference between Luis van Ahn's successful games and our attempts of
> using this for the SW is that Luis used challenges where the processing of
> visual data and applying linguistic competence are the core intelligence
> task, two areas that are suited for broad audiences and easily link to
> entertaining game scenarios.
>
> But validating mapping axioms between bio ontologies and even open street
> map data is terribly boring in comparison.
>
> Plus, the level of competence needed for cracking the interesting nuts in
> our data (e.g. subtle forms of polysemy like the city of Munich vs. the
> district of Munich) restricts the target audience significantly.
>
> To be frank, I consider GWAPs for the Semantic Web a dead end and would
> not invest additional lifetime into it. It was a promising field back then,
> and has a lot of appeal at first sight, but it will not solve any of our
> big challenges.

Martin, I agree with you that solving esoteric problem in linked data might
not be the most fun idea to gamify.  However, that does not mean that
linked data isnt well suited to producing potentially viral games that have
positive side effects (eg for social good).

In the last few years simple text based games, using linked social data (eg
facebook) have achieved virality of a millions, and even tens of millions
of users.

What are the big challenges, if they are not to deliver linked data to a
larger population in appealing ways?