Re: Simple Linked Data Publishing For Non Programmers

On 7/25/12 4:45 PM, Michael Brunnbauer wrote:
> Hello Kingsley,
>
> On Wed, Jul 25, 2012 at 01:31:32PM -0400, Kingsley Idehen wrote:
>> One of the fundamental misconceptions about Linked Data is the
>> assumption that Web-scale publication is a complex process, utterly
>> beyond the capabilities of end-users that are already capable of
>> creating, editing, and saving a document to a local or network drive.
>>
>> I've written a detailed post [1] showcasing how anyone can publish
>> Linked Data via a Turtle document ...
> I showed your post to my wife - who has been working in online publishing for
> more than 10 years. She has worked with many web content management systems
> and is able to read and write HTML markup.

Okay.

> Like I expected, she lost you in the second paragraph.

Okay, and what exactly was that?

>   Maybe she would be able
> to learn linked data like she learned HTML - the hard way.

HTML isn't the route here, really. The journey is all about structured
data representation using hyperlinks as a denotation and data access
mechanism.

>   But it would in
> fact be much harder because this time, she would have no reason to learn it
> and no tool to try out changes and see immediate *results*.

Again, I beg to differ. If she has any desire to for her work to be
discovered serendipitously without the markup tedium of HTML then Turtle
is a potential short cut.

My example may actually be a little verbose re. Turtle, so how about
telling her to adapt the following to her situation and then upload to a
DropBox or Amazon S3 bucket (I've left the others out since they require
a proxy due to mime type handling problems):

## Don't touch any of this
@prefix owl:  <http://www.w3.org/2002/07/owl#> .
@prefix foaf: <http://xmlns.com/foaf/0.1/> .
@prefix rdfs: <http://www.w3.org/2000/01/rdf-schema#> .
@prefix wdrs: <http://www.w3.org/2007/05/powder-s#> .
@prefix opl: <http://www.openlinksw.com/schemas/cert#> .
@prefix cert: <http://www.w3.org/ns/auth/cert#> .
@prefix : <#> .

## Who Are You?

:this foaf:name "{enter-your-firstname-and-lastname-here}" .
:this foaf:firstName "{first-name}" .
:this foaf:familyName "{last-name}" .
:this foaf:nick "{nick-name}" .

## Some Web Pages You Have Already

:this foaf:page {Twitter-Home-Page-URL} .
:this foaf:page {Facebook-Home-Page-URL} .
:this foaf:page {G+-Home-Page-URL} . .
:this foaf:page {LinkedIn-Home-Page-URL} .
:this foaf:page {Personal-Blog-Home-Page-URL} .

## Done ##

I am also going to repeat this test with my Wife.

> Giovanni Tummarello recently summarized it all very good recently:
>
>   http://www.mail-archive.com/public-lod@w3.org/msg11194.html

Well, Giovanni speaks of a specific scenario and then applies it to
Linked Data generically. There are no situations where that approach
actually reflects broad reality about Linked Data.

> We have to be honest with ourselves about this technology. Whose problems does
> it solve ?

I am going to give you a simple answer, one I am sure I've given in the
past re. Linked Data.

Problem: structured data representation, access, and integration across
disparate data sources.

Solution: Use the power of the well known entity-attribute-value model,
enhanced with URI based hyperlinks, to address structured data
representation, access, and integration.

How:
Remember what structured data actually is, how its expressed, and
transmitted over a network. Then remember that entity-attribute-value
modelling has historically provided a solution to real-world data
modelling albeit challenged in the realm of scalability. Incorporate
de-refrencable URIs as a denotation/naming mechanism for the entity,
attribute, and value (optionally) slots which then makes the structured
data webby. Remember to have each URI (as is the case with the Web
already) resolve to useful information, ideally to documents bearing
structured content in the same entity-attribute-value structure.

What not to do:

Start the narrative with the letters RDF (even if you know RDF is really
about EAV/CR + URIs en route to relationship semantics embellishments
from the likes of RDFS and OWL).

>   Who can understand it ?

Very simple, but that depends "who" is "whom" . Anyway, assuming the
basic user of a computer that has saved a Word Document and an Excel
Spreadsheet, you can explain as follows:

The HTML dominated Web of today is like a using Microsoft Word with the
ability to use hyperlinks to refer to other Word Docs (on your local
machine or network) via hyperlinks.

The Linked Data aspect of the Web is like using Microsoft Excel with the
ability to refer to cells by row-by-column coordinates (addresses) or by
cell names. Linked Data is about resources that are like spreadsheets
with hyperlink based references that also enable you refer to other
cells (by address or name) in other spreadsheets across workbooks, other
local spreadsheets, remote spreadsheets on your local area network, and
the internet.

> Are the tools usable in practise ?

Of course they are. But I can't force you to accept that fundamental
point even though there's been ample evidence of that since 2007.

> My
> answers to these questions are not optimistic.

Mine will always be.

> I understand that all these answers can change with time and some day we may
> have the bright future you are seeing.

Question for you, if you don't mind. Which of the following are useless,
by virtue of questionable tools and/or utility comprehension?

1. World Wide Web
2. ODBC (Open Database Connectivity)
3. Java Database Connectivity (JDBC)
4. Microsoft Entity Frameworks (a component of ADO.NET)
5. X.500 Directories
6. Hyperlinks
7. URIs.

> But I would not take that for granted.
> There is much work to do.

There is always much work to do. Otherwise, our innovation continuum
will come to a grinding halt :-)

> Regards,
>
> Michael Brunnbauer

Founder & CEO