Re: Simple Linked Data Publishing For Non Programmers

Hello Kingsley,

On Wed, Jul 25, 2012 at 01:31:32PM -0400, Kingsley Idehen wrote:
> One of the fundamental misconceptions about Linked Data is the
> assumption that Web-scale publication is a complex process, utterly
> beyond the capabilities of end-users that are already capable of
> creating, editing, and saving a document to a local or network drive.
>
> I've written a detailed post [1] showcasing how anyone can publish
> Linked Data via a Turtle document ...

I showed your post to my wife - who has been working in online publishing for
more than 10 years. She has worked with many web content management systems
and is able to read and write HTML markup.

Like I expected, she lost you in the second paragraph. Maybe she would be able
to learn linked data like she learned HTML - the hard way. But it would in
fact be much harder because this time, she would have no reason to learn it
and no tool to try out changes and see immediate *results*.

Giovanni Tummarello recently summarized it all very good recently:

 http://www.mail-archive.com/public-lod@w3.org/msg11194.html

We have to be honest with ourselves about this technology. Whose problems does
it solve ? Who can understand it ? Are the tools usable in practise ? My
answers to these questions are not optimistic.

I understand that all these answers can change with time and some day we may
have the bright future you are seeing. But I would not take that for granted.
There is much work to do.

Regards,

Michael Brunnbauer

--