Re: Is there a general "preferred" property?

Bernard Vatant wrote:
> Nathan
>
> Interesting discussion indeed, at least allowing me to discover
> con:preferredURI I missed so far ... although I was looking for something
> like that, and it was just under my nose in LOV :)
> http://lov.okfn.org/dataset/lov/search/#s=preferred
>
> If I parse correctly the definition of con:preferredURI  (A string which is
> the URI a person, organization, etc, prefers that people use for them.) it
> applies only to some agent able to express its preference about how
> he/she/it should be identified. The domain is open, but if I was to close
> it I would declare it to be foaf:Agent.

How about wikipedia articles / dbpedia articles? they have uris which
redirect to a preferred canonical one quite often - likewise rel
canonical as used throughout the web for "documents" ?

> This is quite different from skos:prefLabel which expresses the preference
> of a community of vocabulary users about how some concept should be named
> (a practice coming from the library/thesaurus community). The borderline
> case are authorities, when LoC uses skos:prefLabel in their authority files
> for people of organization, they don't ask those people or organizations if
> they agree (many of them not being in position to answer anyway ...).
>
> Seems we lack some x:prefURI expressing the same type of preference as
> skos:prefLabel.
> With of course con:preferredURI rdfs:subPropertyOf x:prefURI
>
> And a general  property  x:hasURI
>
> x:hasURI    x:preferred   x:prefURI
>
> Meaning that :
>
> ex:foo    x:hasURI      'bar'
>
> entails
>
> <bar>   owl:sameAs   ex:foo

agree, seems to be the same functionality as described by rel=canonical
which is in general use too.

> Not sure of notations here, what I mean by <bar> is the resource of which
> URI is the string 'bar'
>
> And while we are at it x:altURI would be nice to have also :)

Unsure if I agree with this one.. I can't see what it brings to the
table above multiple values for owl:sameAs, or in the other use case
over multiple values for rdfs:label ?

Best,

Nathan