Re: Is there a general "preferred" property?

Nathan

Interesting discussion indeed, at least allowing me to discover
con:preferredURI I missed so far ... although I was looking for something
like that, and it was just under my nose in LOV :)
http://lov.okfn.org/dataset/lov/search/#s=preferred

If I parse correctly the definition of con:preferredURI  (A string which is
the URI a person, organization, etc, prefers that people use for them.) it
applies only to some agent able to express its preference about how
he/she/it should be identified. The domain is open, but if I was to close
it I would declare it to be foaf:Agent.
This is quite different from skos:prefLabel which expresses the preference
of a community of vocabulary users about how some concept should be named
(a practice coming from the library/thesaurus community). The borderline
case are authorities, when LoC uses skos:prefLabel in their authority files
for people of organization, they don't ask those people or organizations if
they agree (many of them not being in position to answer anyway ...).

Seems we lack some x:prefURI expressing the same type of preference as
skos:prefLabel.
With of course con:preferredURI rdfs:subPropertyOf x:prefURI

And a general  property  x:hasURI

x:hasURI    x:preferred   x:prefURI

Meaning that :

ex:foo    x:hasURI      'bar'

entails

<bar>   owl:sameAs   ex:foo

Not sure of notations here, what I mean by <bar> is the resource of which
URI is the string 'bar'

And while we are at it x:altURI would be nice to have also :)

Bernard

--
*Bernard Vatant
*

*Mondeca**          **                   *
3 cité Nollez 75018 Paris, France
www.mondeca.com
Follow us on Twitter : @mondecanews <http://twitter.com/#%21/mondecanews>