Re: How do OBO ontologies work on the LOD?

Here is another example.

If I take this HAO URI

http://purl.obolibrary.org/obo/HAO_0000512

And plug it into the Sindice Inspector Tool on this page http://sindice.com/

It it interprets it as a web page, not an owl class.

If I take the URI as it exists in the ontology
http://purl.org/obo/owl/HAO#HAO_0000512

It does see it as an information source but with a number of blank nodes -
which it does not know how to interpret.

They could have followed the pattern that a lot of LOD sites do and have
something like this:

The URI
http://api.hymao.org/projects/32/public/ontology_class/show/1033#item
The HTML http://api.hymao.org/projects/32/public/ontology_class/show/1033

It seems that RDFa would work for this (here is a beta RDFa example
http://lod.taxonconcept.org/odes/thomas_say_1823_culex.html )

Which would allow them have the RDF markup in the .html page, rather than a
separate .rdf document.

That would give them a separate but more LOD friendly ontology.

An ontology which operates in the way LOD sites and services expect.

Respectfully,

- Pete

Pete DeVries
Department of Entomology