Re: Metadata about single triples

On 2/22/12 12:30 PM, Barry Norton wrote:
> On 22/02/2012 17:21, Bob Ferris wrote:
>> [...] Named Graphs unnecessary fragment complex descriptions into
>> (very) small piece due to their provenance descriptions*. So when you
>> would like to query this complex description at once you may have to
>> include many Named Graphs. This makes the SPARQL query rather complex.
>> A current workaround is to duplicate this fragmented knowledge into a
>> default graph to be able to easily query such complex descriptions
>> (without their provenance information).
>
> But this is what (most?) triple stores do with the default graph in
> the absence of FROM/NAMED clauses in queries anyway. (Certainly this
> is the Sesame approach, followed by OWLIM.)

Not so re. Virtuoso. The Graph IRIs don't matter. Only used them if you
explicitly seek to constrain the dataset from which you seek a SPARQL
based solution.

>> This increases the maintenance costs as well and the (originally)
>> related knowledge is now decoupled.
>
> I didn't understand this - can you clarify? (I'm tempted to think
> you're talking about a real duplication, rather than the default
> construction of the default graph)

Same data across different Graph IRIs != duplication.

>> On the other side, many triple store vendors are already utilising
>> statement identifiers internally. So why not utilising them
>> externally as well by introducing URIs instead of internal identifiers.
>
> Well, the cost is in indexing a large number of small graphs for
> efficient querying (especially in the presence of queries with unbound
> graph IDs). This does seem to become a common requirement these days
> though.
>
> The biggest issue is 'giving up' your one chance at a utilisation for
> named graphs, since these are not hierarchical or applied as a set to
> triples. This, though, is an old argument...

See my comment above re. use of Graph IRIs re. SPARQL. They can serve as
Named Partitions for your data. You may have a variety of reasons for
having the same triples across many Named Graphs. Nothing wrong with
that :-)

> Barry

Founder&  CEO
OpenLink Software