Re: How do OBO ontologies work on the LOD?

On 2/22/12 9:15 AM, Alan Ruttenberg wrote:

> On Wed, Feb 22, 2012 at 2:55 AM, Peter DeVries <pete.devries@gmail.com
> <mailto:pete.devries@gmail.com>> wrote:
>
>     Hi Alan,
>
>     Here is an example from the Hymenoptera Anatomy Ontology
>
>     http://obofoundry.org/cgi-bin/detail.cgi?id=hymenoptera_anatomy
>
>     Example via my endpoint
>     http://lsd.taxonconcept.org/describe/?url=http://purl.obolibrary.org/obo/HAO_0001000&sid=1151
>     <http://lsd.taxonconcept.org/describe/?url=http://purl.obolibrary.org/obo/HAO_0001000&sid=1151>
>

> Ok, I see. The problem here is the one I alluded to. We use OWL and
> the Virtuoso endpoint you are using doesn't understand it. I am ccing
> Kingsley and officially "tsk"ing him. We've known each other long
> enough that I'd have hoped he would have got some OWL religion by now.

Yes, I am an OWL believer!

Pete: use the ontology in question as the basis for a Virtuoso Inference
rule, then invoke the describe URL with the parameter for inference
context application.

Example:

1.
http://linkeddata.uriburner.com/describe/?url=http%3A%2F%2Fpurl.org%2FNET%2Fgooglevocab%23Product
-- no inference context
2.
http://linkeddata.uriburner.com/describe/?uri=http%3A%2F%2Fpurl.org%2FNET%2Fgooglevocab%23Product&inf=oplweb
-- inference context applied
3.
http://virtuoso.openlinksw.com/presentations/SPARQL_Tutorials/SPARQL_Tutorials_Part_5/SPARQL_Tutorials_Part_5.html#(53)
> By that I don't mean doing full reasoning arbitrary combinations of
> RDF from different sources - but at least correctly parsing OWL is
> something I would have hoped be implemented by now.
>
> What the HAO should look like in a simple linked data browser (where
> some of the 'data' is in the form of OWL class definitions)  is
> something like this:
>
> http://www.ontobee.org/browser/rdf.php?o=HAO&iri=http://purl.obolibrary.org/obo/HAO_0001000
> <http://www.ontobee.org/browser/rdf.php?o=HAO&iri=http://purl.obolibrary.org/obo/HAO_0001000>
>
> Virtuoso knows how to do CBD (in fact ontobee is virtuoso as triple
> store too), but the page generator on your endpoint isn't doing it on
> the page it generates. Instead it does straight links out and links
> in. The links in are from an annotation on the axiom. It would be
> better there to not display anything, or to display a note saying
> there is an annotation that it can't display, or to properly parse the
> annotation (which would require another CBD query starting at the
> annotation) and display it. Kingsley, the source for ontobee is
> available - why not pick it up or use it as a spec for how to properly
> display OWL?

Will do.

> [...]
> desirable improvements, e.g. adding some isDefinedBy links, and
> including all the inferrred superclasses, but that's not directly to
> your question, and is the sort of thing I mean when I say we will be
> working further on the RDF for the terms.
>
> Doing a GET for application/rdf+xml to the purl will pull in
> approximately the same RDF. The HAO folks decided to make their own
> browser for their content instead of using ontobee, which is fine.
> What we've tried to promote within the OBO community is the use of
> semweb technology as one form of dissemination, use of stable URIs as
> identifiers, and the ability to provide both human readable pages and
> machine readable pages. I'll get to Bernard's email later, but I hope
> you and he will realize that promoting and starting to successfully
> achieve implementation of these values for the OBO ontologies will
> yield very good value for the semantic web. There is an incredible
> amount of very well curated biological knowledge that is constantly
> being generated by that community.
>
>     I was thinking that the character states described in this
>     ontology could be attached to species like this.
>
>     <http://lod.taxonconcept.org/ses/z9oqP#Species> <somePredicate>
>     <someHAOCharacterState>
>

> Are there what you would call character states in the example you gave
> above? I understand it as a bit of anatomy knowledge - what part
> connects to what.  I guess what I need to know is what, if any,
> assertions would you make given that you now see what was intended to
> be seen? Do you need a flattening predicate (my preference would be to
> use an annotation property) that more directly links the species
> concept to scape and anterior tentorial arm? What should it be?
>
>     And be properly interpreted on Sig.ma example http://bit.ly/zfbimy
>

> I'll have to look at that later. But I would ask of it and of your
> endpoint: Is there some obligation to properly interpret what is
> stated according the web standard OWL? Surely the obligation for
> proper interpretation needs to be a mutual effort?
>
> From my point of view I want to make the OBO LOD be useful and I
> understand that there are different communities that would use it. I
> think we need to be true to the representation we choose - it provides
> a lot of benefits for query, consistency checking, etc. But we're also
> trying to be polite to others and are open to augmenting it so that it
> can be of utility to others. The key is for us to first understand how
> we should do that, for you to understand what is currently being said,
> and when we're done for your client applications to either represent
> what we've said too, or learn how to ignore it.
> -Alan
>
> ps. For some examples of how using OWL is yielding tangible benefits
> you could browse http://groups.google.com/group/fma-owl-2009
> In that effort I'm slowly working through translating a human anatomy
> ontology, the FMA, into OWL, and in the process discovering (and

Yep!

SeeAlso:

1. https://plus.google.com/s/inference%20owl%20linked%20data%20idehen --
fuzzy search on G+ posts about virtues of OWL and Inference re. data
quality improvements (note: LOD cloud cache is still undergoing
maintenance re. LOD2 so some live demo links might not work).

> [...]
>
>         e.g.
>
>         @prefix obo: <http://purl.obolibrary.org/obo/>
>         @prefix hasSiteOf: <http://purl.obolibrary.org/obo/BFO_0000067>
>
>         _:a rdf:type <species>
>         _:b rdf:type <metabolic process>
>         _:a hasSiteOf: _:b
>
>         If you want to represent that the process happens in some
>         individuals of this species.
>         In the above I write <species> where you would write the uri
>         of your species class (e.g.
>         http://purl.obolibrary.org/obo/NCBITaxon_9903) , and
>         <metabolic process> where you would write the uri of your
>         process class (e.g. http://purl.obolibrary.org/obo/GO_0030245).
>
>             I don't think this use case requires the full OBO
>              relationships, just a mapping ontology that connects
>             terms and characters to those in the OBO ontology.
>

>         Not sure what you mean by this.
>

>             Doing it this way you might get a species "tagged" with
>             something that is not appropriate but that could be
>             detected by some service that analyzes the statements made
>             in the species concept markup
>

>         Example?
>
>             .
>             My guess is that some of the OBO ontologies (if fully
>             entailed) will not play well on the LOD cloud, but they
>             would play a useful role when mapped as I described.
>

>         Examples would be helpful. But note that it is our intention
>         that we *do* play well on the LOD cloud. However also note, we
>         work in OWL and much of what we say is about types/classes,
>         and many(most?) linked data browsers don't understand or
>         present OWL in a meaninful way. One of the reasons we have
>         developed ontobee is that it is designed to do justice to
>         linked ontology terms that are defined in terms of OWL. So
>         class expressions are not left as messes of bnodes, but
>         instead parsed and displayed as OWL. I'd like to see more
>         linked data browsers do the same.
>
>             Does my interpretation seem appropriate to you or am I
>             missing something?
>

>         I hope you are missing something :) But please elaborate so we
>         can see.
>

>             Thanks,
>
>             - Pete
>

>             On Tue, Feb 21, 2012 at 9:39 AM, Juan Sequeda
>             <juanfederico@gmail.com <mailto:juanfederico@gmail.com>>
>             wrote:
>
>                 Peter
>
>                 You may want to take a look at this:
>                 http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/21388572
>
>                 The implementation of the OBO to OWL mapping work is
>                 part of official Gene Ontology project.
>
>                 Juan Sequeda
>                 +1-575-SEQ-UEDA
>                 www.juansequeda.com <http://www.juansequeda.com>
>

>                 On Mon, Feb 20, 2012 at 7:46 PM, Peter DeVries
>                 <pete.devries@gmail.com
>                 <mailto:pete.devries@gmail.com>> wrote:
>
>                     How do OBO type ontologies work in the Linked Open
>                     Data cloud.
>
>                     One that I recently loaded has a large number of
>                     blank nodes.
>
>                     It the idea that these will be mapped to LOD URI's?

Founder&  CEO
OpenLink Software
Company Web: http://www.openlinksw.com
Twitter/Identi.ca handle: @kidehen