 From: Lars Marius Garshol <lars.garshol@bouvet.no>
To: Bernard Vatant <bernard.vatant@mondeca.com>
Cc: M. Scott Marshall <mscottmarshall@gmail.com>; Barry Norton <barry.norton@ontotext.com>; "public-lod@w3.org" <public-lod@w3.org>
Sent: Friday, February 17, 2012 3:27 AM
Subject: Re: URIs for languages

Hi Bernard,

* Bernard Vatant

> I think now we should forget about URIs published by pionneer projects such as OASIS TC, lingvoj.org and lexvo.org, and stick to URIs published by genuine authority Library of Congress which is as close to the primary source as can be. So if you want to use a URI for Ancient Greek as defined by ISO 639-2, please use http://id.loc.gov/vocabulary/iso639-2/grc.

Agreed. That stuff is all legacy now that LoC is doing this.

> BTW Lars Marius, hello, what do you think? URIs at id.loc.gov are really what we were dreaming to achieve in 2001, right?

Yes. Having an authority like Library of Congress maintain these URIs seemed completely utopian in 2001, but I'm really happy to see that they now do it.

If only they could do ISO 3166 countries as well...

--
Lars Marius Garshol  |  Consultant
Bouvet ASA Sandakerveien 24C D11 Postboks 4430 Nydalen NO-0403 Oslo