Re: ANN: WebDataCommons.org releases 7.3 billion quads RDFa, Microdata and Microformat data originating from 2.29 million pay-level-domains

Hi Aaron,

while I also suspect that the number of websites that offer RDFa and
microdata has grown between 2009 and 2012, concluding this directly from
the data won't be valid.

The problem is two-fold. On the one hand side, the number of pages that
is included into the Common Crawl per website depends on the page rank
of the pages, meaning that for some sites thousands of pages are
included, for other sites only a small set. In both cases, the included
pages are only a sample of the pages provided by the site.
Thus, drawing any conclusions from the absolute number of pages with
data, absolute number of entities and number of triples is not valid.

What makes more scene is to compare the number of websites that support
a specific format, because behind each website is the decision by some
administrator to include specific markup into the HTML code.

The question is what you count as a website? For the 2009/2010 release,
we counted all sub-domains as separate websites (which makes Wordpress a
couple of million websites). For the 2012 release we only counted
pay-level-domains as separate websites. Thus, the domain counts are not
directly comparable.

So, the minimum that would need to be done to draw a conclusion would be
to download the 2009/2010 WDC dataset and run our current statistics
script over it (the script is in the subversion repository) so that you
get comparable domain counts.

To be sure that the sets of websites included in Common Crawl 2009/2010
and Common Crawl 2012 match to an high enough extent, one would also
need to derive both sets from the Common Crawl and compare them. We have
the list of all 40 million pay-level-domains covered by the Common Crawl
2012 but we don't have the list for the 2009/2010 crawl. When we touch
the Common Crawl 2009/2010 the next time, we will also generate and
publish this list. But if you want quicker results, you would need to
get your hands dirty yourself and invest the $100 Amazon fees to scan
over the dataset.

Cheers,

Chris