Re: Linked Data Book in Early Access Release

On 12/6/12 9:03 AM, David Wood wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> Great news!  Manning's publisher and Webmaster helped us to publish some LD about the book on Manning's site.

Great!

>   In my opinion, that is much, much better than doing it ourselves on a separate site.

Not really, there's never too much Linked Data about anything. For
instance, the following could have happened:

1. You make a little turtle document describing this Book
2. You publish it
3. You also contact the publisher about the virtues of a complimentary
effort in their data space.

Effects:

1. You've created Linked Data
2. You've published Linked Data
3. You are now armed with something that makes "opportunity costs"
palpable -- in this case to the publisher
4. The Book's SDQ (Serendipitous Discovery Quotient) is now on an
exponential curve -- and this even extends to search engines like Google.

> There is a now an RDF icon on:
>    http://manning.com/dwood/
> …that links to:
>    http://manning.com/dwood/LinkedData.ttl

Great.

Few things though, note the incorrect mime type (it should be: text/turtle):

curl -I http://manning.com/dwood/LinkedData.ttl
HTTP/1.1 200 OK
Date: Thu, 06 Dec 2012 15:27:58 GMT
P3P: policyref="http://info.yahoo.com/w3c/p3p.xml", CP="CAO DSP COR CUR
ADM DEV TAI PSA PSD IVAi IVDi CONi TELo OTPi OUR DELi SAMi OTRi UNRi
PUBi IND PHY ONL UNI PUR FIN COM NAV INT DEM CNT STA POL HEA PRE LOC GOV"
Last-Modified: Thu, 06 Dec 2012 00:44:18 GMT
Accept-Ranges: bytes

So for now I just used SPARQL 1.1 to insert the Turtle data into one of
my data spaces using:

prefix dc: <http://purl.org/dc/elements/1.1/>
prefix dcterms: <http://purl.org/dc/terms/>
prefix biblio: <http://purl.org/net/biblio#>
prefix rdfs: <http://www.w3.org/2000/01/rdf-schema#>

INSERT {GRAPH <urn:kidehen:linked:data:demos> {

<http://manning.com/dwood> a biblio:Book
     ; dc:creator <http://3roundstones.com/dave/me.rdf>
     ; dc:creator <http://paprika.umw.edu/~marsha/foaf.ttl>
     ; dc:creator <http://lukeruth.com/me.ttl>
     ; dc:contributor
<http://semanticweb.org/wiki/Special:ExportRDF/Michael_Hausenblas>
     ; dc:publisher <http://manning.com>
     ; dc:title "Linked Data"
     ; rdfs:label "Linked Data"
     ; dc:abstract """The flexible, unstructured nature of the Web is
being extended to act as a global database of
                 structured data. Linked Data is a standards-driven
model for representing structured data on the
                 Web that gives developers, publishers, and information
architects a consistent, predictable way
                 to publish, merge and consume data. The Linked Data
model offers the potential to standardize Web
                 data in the same way that SQL standardized large-scale
commercial databases. Linked Data has been
                 adopted by many well-known institutions, including
Google, Facebook, IBM, Oracle and government
                 agencies, as well as popular Open Source projects such
as Drupal.

                 Linked Data presents the Linked Data model in plain,
jargon-free language to Web developers.
                 Avoiding the overly-academic terminology of the
Semantic Web, this new book presents practical
                 techniques using everyday tools like JavaScript and
Python. You'll work step-by-step through
                 examples of increasing complexity as you explore
foundational concepts such as HTTP URIs, the
                 Resource Description Framework (RDF) and the SPARQL
query language. Then you'll use various
                 Linked Data document formats to create powerful Web
applications and mashups. This book teaches
                 you how to effectively use emerging Web standards to
find, query, use and create structured data
                 on the Web."""
     ; dc:subject <http://dbpedia.org/page/Linked_data>
     ; dc:audience "Web Developers"
     ; dc:license "Copyright 2012-13 Manning Publications Inc."
     ; dc:language "en"
     ; dcterms:hasPart
<http://www.manning.com/dwood/LinkedData_MEAP_ch1.pdf>
.

<http://www.manning.com/dwood/LinkedData_MEAP_ch1.pdf> a biblio:Chapter
     ; dc:title "Chapter 1. Introducing Linked Data"
     ; rdfs:label "Chapter 1. Introducing Linked Data"
     ; dcterms:isPartOf <http://manning.com/dwood>
     ; dcterms:format "application/pdf"
     ; dc:license "Copyright 2012-13 Manning Publications Inc." . }
}

> We will continue to build out the LD as the book progresses.  Suggestions for content welcome.

That's exactly what should happen. Some folks might right reviews and
publish from their own data spaces, ultimately all the puzzle pieces
continue to coalesce into a coherent puzzle, across many contexts.

> Many thanks to the people at Manning for making this happen.

Yes.

Links:

1. http://bit.ly/YRJSBC -- SPARQL Query results URL that verify the
effects of the SPARQL INSERT query
2. http://bit.ly/VpkIDE --  SPARQL Query definition URL
3. http://bit.ly/UpJDs8 -- Follow-Your-Nose exploration pattern starting
with a PDF document URL
4. http://bit.ly/TJOV3p -- ditto but via URIBurner which has much more
Linked Data (so you have deeper FYN exploitation).

Of course, it get much more interesting, but this should be a nice start
for now :-)

Kingsley