Re: Address Bar URI

On 10/19/11 6:50 PM, Tom Scott wrote:
> On 19 Oct 2011, at 15:42, Kingsley Idehen<kidehen@openlinksw.com>  wrote:

>>> ...with less than 5% market share as of last March [1].  Also, most of those reported instances of IE6 usage may be due to the AVG Linkscanner bot, which uses an IE6 ID string [2].
>>>
>>> I know IE6 has been a thorn in our sides for years, but maybe it is time to let it go.
>> We don't believe is forcing issues on end-users by disrupting them via actions such as: implementing a Linked Data URI style for something like DBpedia that works modulo IE 6. Yes, the market share of IE is decreasing (thank heavens!) but we still have a live usecase that showcases why slash style of URIs are important and useful.
>>
>> Kingsley
Tom,

> Whatever the usage of IE6 in the general web population  I can't
> believe that's reflective of dbpedia users.
How can you make such a statement about the profile of World Wide Web users?

Again, do remember, DBpedia came to life at a point in time where the
fundamental goal was to showcase the virtues of Linked Data without any
distractions. That naturally implied, delivering a solution that just
worked. That means, any Web browser, period.

The goal was achieved and DBpedia is a resounding success i.e., Linked
Data became a pragmatic demonstration of the Semantic Web vision.

> If it is then that might be the best indication of widespread LOD
> adoption and we all should therefore re-read Michael's comments.

DBpedia is about showcasing a new Web dimension modulo disruption to
existing WWW users. There is no other effective way to achieve the
aforementioned goal. That's why seeking revocation httpRange-14 will
never happen. The only think wrong (IMHO) with httpRange-14 is its
choice of esoteric language and anecdotes. That's it.

> (meanwhile I'm going to check why my dad uses dbpedia and garner his
> feedback on the http-range-14 issue since he's the only person I know
> that uses IE6).

What happens if he was using IE 6 happily, and during one of your visits
to opt to demonstrate how DBpedia provides an alternative way to exploit
Wikipedia? Would you tell him to install another browser prior to giving
him the demonstration?

Many in this community might have contempt for IE 6, but that doesn't
negate real world reality.

DBpedia is a great example of how you introduce new technology with
minimum disruption to end-users.

Kingsley

>>> Regards,
>>> Dave