Re: Explaining the benefits of http-range14 (was Re: [HTTP-range-14] Hyperthing: Semantic Web URI Validator (303, 301, 302, 307 and hash URIs) )

On 10/19/11 5:36 PM, Leigh Dodds wrote:
> Hi,

>>> RFC3983:
>>>
>>> "A Uniform Resource Identifier (URI) is a compact sequence of
>>> characters that identifies an abstract or physical resource."
>> Yes, I agree with that.
>>> 2 URIs, therefore 2 resources.
>> I disagree with your interpretation though.
> But I'm not interpreting anything there. The definition is a URI
> identifies a resource. Ergo two different URIs identify two resources.

Two different URIs do not necessarily identify two different resources.

In the case of Linked Data, you have URIs that put indirection to use.
Thus, You have different identifiers that resolve to the same data. This
data is streamed from server to client, and the actual data
representation is negotiable (explicitly or implicitly).

A data object is endowed with Identity distinct from its representation.
This is the crux of the matter, and ultimately our debate boils down to
whether the statement above is proven to be a computer science fact or
fiction. There's now gray area re. this matter.

If you seek the representation of the description of 'Linked Data' that
takes the form of an EAV/SPO based graph pictorial you have the
following routes to the aforementioned data, re. DBpedia:

1. http://dbpedia.org/resource/Linked_Data --- generic name
2. http://dbpedia.org/page/Linked_Data -- location name (address)

#2 will deliver an HTML based representation of the data that
constitutes the EAV/SPO based description. The identity of the data
object (resource) remains intact.

Hence:

curl -I http://dbpedia.org/resource/Linked_Data
HTTP/1.1 303 See Other