Re: Address Bar URI

On 10/14/11 11:36 AM, Hugh Glaser wrote:
> On 14 Oct 2011, at 16:16, Kingsley Idehen wrote:
>> Now when Hugh simply states URI and quibbles about the effects of URI indirection.
> I consider your accusation that I am "quibbling" deeply insulting in the context of a professional discussion, and entirely inappropriate on a w3c mailing list.
>
> http://www.thefreedictionary.com/quibble
> 1. To evade the truth or importance of an issue by raising trivial distinctions and objections.
> 2. To find fault or criticize for petty reasons; cavil.

s/quibble/complain.

I absolutely have/had no intention of insulting you (I said I quibble
too). I meant complain, gripe, take issue with etc..
Apologies, for sure, if you think I was trying to insult you (I wouldn't
do that to you in public or private).

I am taking issue with the following, specifically: confusing use of
term: URI, Non Information Resource etc..

Using the above loosely, simply perpetuates confusion.

A URI can be used to Name anything,  and that includes a Location (Address).
A Location is a very specific thing.
A URL is a specific kind of URI i.e., it is an Address.
And yes, a URL is a kind of URI.
The fundamental issue is *indirection* a feature of URI abstraction.

When you speak about URIs (with indirection in play) it simply leads to
confusion.
Please don't assume the make of the mailing list. It isn't a place where
specific language is accepted by all, which is why I would like us to be
clearer.

Kingsley
>> --
>>
>> Regards,