Re: data schema / vocabulary / ontology / repositories

On 3/15/11 12:00 PM, Renaud Delbru wrote:
> Hi Keith,
>
> On 14/03/11 13:18, Keith Alexander wrote:
>> On Mon, Mar 14, 2011 at 8:28 AM, Martin Hepp
>> <martin.hepp@ebusiness-unibw.org>  wrote:
>>> Hi Dieter:
>>>
>>> There are several ontology repositories available on-line, but to my
>>> knowledge they all suffer from two serious limitations:
>>>
>>> 1. They do not rate ontologies by quality/relevance/popularity, so
>>> you do not get any hint whether foaf:Organization or
>>> foo:Organization will be the best way to expose your data.
>>
>> Schemacache[1] used to order results by the number of documents
>> Sindice found it it, but this wasn't terribly effective; what we want
>> is  something more like "number of individual publishers using term X"
>> rather than "number of individual documents using term X".
>
> The new Sindice search frontend provides a first solution towards this
> problematic. Sindice allows you to group search results per domain.
> See [1,2] as examples. It is not yet perfect, nor optimal, but this is
> a first try, and this might be useful for your scenario.
> We are currently focussing our effort in Sindice towards what we call
> dataset search. The dataset/domain grouping is a first step towards
> this big picture. We will add additional features in the future, like
> a more detailled summary of the datasets, e.g., its inter-relations
> with other datasets.
>
> [1] http://sindice.com/search?q=foaf%3Aperson&nq=&fq=&facet.field=domain
> [2] http://sindice.com/search?q=owl%3Asameas&nq=&fq=&facet.field=domain

All,

No golden answer (I sure someone's already made this comment). All you
can do is offer access to a data space that let's the user Find what
they seek via disambiguation oriented filters.

Examples:

1. http://uriburner.com/fct/facet.vsp?cmd=load&fsq_id=81 -- Pattern:
Person that may or may not be associated with a Class or Property
2. http://uriburner.com/fct/facet.vsp?cmd=load&fsq_id=82 -- Pattern:
Person associated with a Class (explicitly)
3. http://uriburner.com/fct/facet.vsp?cmd=load&fsq_id=83 -- Pattern:
Person associated with a Transitive Property.

In all cases above, when happy click on Entity1 or EntityN (too see and
access descriptions of matching entities) depending on where you're at
in your quest. Of course, you can switch "uriburner.com" for
"lod.openlinksw.com" and do the same thing against an even larger data
set etc..

President&  CEO
OpenLink Software
Web: http://www.openlinksw.com