Re: data schema / vocabulary / ontology / repositories

Dieter,

Thank you for raising this issue.  I discovered the same problem a couple
years ago, lots of data, no ontologies.
Christopher has a good idea that is not hard to make good progress on. In my
work with linked data, in 08-09, I needed ontologies. So I wrote a simple
automated ontology-extractor. I don't remember the details, but the basic
idea was:
1. create an object property or datatype property for every predicate in
some triple
2. track all the individuals that are used in the subject or object of the
triples, this is a starting point for domains and ranges
3. when individuals are used that are known already (e..g a person in
WIkipedia), classes can be extracted, and this can further information on
domains and ranges.
etc.

I'm sure others have done this kind of thing, and are much more
sophisticated about it.
I did it on a dataset to dataset basis and did not try to use it on multiple
datasets, but it is quite doable.

Michael

On Sun, Mar 13, 2011 at 2:18 PM, Christopher Gutteridge <cjg@ecs.soton.ac.uk

--
Michael Uschold, PhD
   Senior Ontology Consultant, Semantic Arts