Re: Think before you write Semantic Web crawlers

On 6/22/11 2:18 PM, glenn mcdonald wrote:
> Why is anybody having to "crawl" an open semantic-web dataset? Isn't
> there a "download" link, and/or a SPARQL endpoint? If there isn't, why
> not? We're the Semantic Web, dammit. If we aren't the masters of data
> interoperability, what are we?
Well, as I said, at the onset of this community, we did speak about the
need for SPARQL endpoint and RDF dump combos. Unfortunately, SPARQL
endpoints or RDF dumps became the norm re. Linked Data publishing. Thus,
as is always the case with us humans, prevention never works because we
prefer cures post catastrophe :-(

We've had to grapple with these matters and more re. DBpedia (in
particular) and other Linked Data spaces we've contributed to the
public. I am happy to see these matters are finally resurfacing courtesy
of experiences elsewhere.

President&  CEO
OpenLink Software
Web: http://www.openlinksw.com