Re: WebID and pets -- was: Squaring the HTTP-range-14 circle [was Re: Schema.org in RDF ...]

On 20 Jun 2011, at 10:51, Kingsley Idehen wrote:

> On 6/20/11 8:31 AM, Henry Story wrote:
>> Perhaps it can become mythical. The URL should be by now:-)
>
> The URI :-)

Perhaps we should write it

  URi

to get a bit of Apple magic. Pronounced your-eye, it does indeed have this you<-->i tension, which French philosopher of technology Bernard Stiegler, elaborating on work by Gilbert Simondon from the 1960ies (especially his book "L'Individuation psychique et collective" to appear in translation this summer in English I am told) takes as fundamental to our understanding of the self. There is no individual first and social after or on the side, or vice versa. Individuation is a process of integration of the social via history passed down through oral traditions initially (by memorisation of poems such as the Iliad), through alphabetic writing - the most important technological transformation brought on by the ancient greeks; ancient greece where kids had to go to school to learn to read and write, so they could learn the laws of the city written on the walls of Athens for all to see - and then in the 20th century through radio, and television. This learning one's societies past and learning who one is, is the same process that then allows one to distinguish oneself from the social and within it. Individuation cannot happen without the social background, just as the social can flourish only to the extent that it gives the individual a place to distinguish himself within it. Societies themselves are individualised by how they distinguish themselves from others...

So your WebID indeed identifies you, but within the space of your social and conceptual relations.

Henry

> --
>
> Regards,
>
> Kingsley Idehen