Re: Squaring the HTTP-range-14 circle [was Re: Schema.org in RDF ...]

On 6/19/11 6:36 PM, Henry Story wrote:
> On 19 Jun 2011, at 18:58, Nathan wrote:
>
>> Nathan wrote:

>>> Sorry, I'm missing something - from what I can see, each document has a number of items, potentially in a hierarchy, and each item is either anonymous, or has an @itemid.
>>> Where's the confusion between Document and Primary Subject?
>> Or do you mean from the Schema.org side, where each Type and Property has a dereferencable URI, which currently happens to also eb used for the document describing the Type/Property?
> Well I can't really tell because I don't know what the semantics of those annotations are, or how they function. Without those it is difficult to tell if they have made a mistake. If there is no way of translating what they are doing into a system that does not make the confusion, then one could explore what the cost of that will be to them. If the confusion is strong then there will be limitations in what they can express that way. It will then be a matter of working out what those limitations are and then offering services that allow one to go further than what they are proposing. At the very least the good thing is that they are not bringing the confusion into the RDF space, since they are using their own syntax and ontologies.
>
> There may also be an higher way to fix this so that they could return a 20x (x-some new number) which points to the document URL (but returns the representation immediately, a kind of efficient HTTP-range-14 version) So there are a lot of options. Currently their objects are tied to an html document. What are the json crowd going to think?

Microdata as espoused by schema.org, via actual Microdata spec, includes
a rules for making JSON representations. Irrespective, the conflation of
entity Name and representation Address ultimately remains. But again, in
the Information Space realm these ambiguities are the norm. Thus, it
ultimately boils down to bridge vocabularies and ontologies to solve
this problem re. Data Space dimension exploitation.

Personally, I just don't loose sleep over schema.org, its a great
contribution that ultimately simplifies comprehension of the Data Space
dimension. Remember, we humans don't do well with prevention, we prefer
cure (via pills ideally) that are immediately available once calamities
manifest :-)
> In any case there is a problem of translation that has to be dealt with first.

Yes-ish.

Kingsley
> Henry
>
> Social Web Architect