Re: Squaring the HTTP-range-14 circle [was Re: Schema.org in RDF ...]

From: Danny Ayers <danny.ayers@gmail.com>
Date: Sat, 18 Jun 2011 20:40:23 +0200
To: Pat Hayes <phayes@ihmc.us>
Cc: Richard Cyganiak <richard@cyganiak.de>, Alan Ruttenberg <alanruttenberg@gmail.com>, Linked Data community <public-lod@w3.org>, Michael Hausenblas <michael.hausenblas@deri.org>
On 16 June 2011 22:39, Pat Hayes <phayes@ihmc.us> wrote:

> Not only do I not follow your reasoning, I don't even know what it is you are saying. The document is a valid *representation* of the car, yes of course.

That's all that's necessary to square this circle.

> But as valid as the car itself? So you think a car is a representation of itself? Or are you drawing a contrast between the 'named car resource' and the car itself? ???

All HTTP delivers is representations of named resources. (I very much
do think a car is a representation of itself in HTTP terms, in the
same way a document is, but it isn't necessary here).

> Maybe it would be best if we just dropped this now. I gather that you were offering me a way to make semantic sense of something, but Im not getting any sense at all out of this discussion, I am afraid.

I'll be delighted to drop it, I thought we were getting stuck in a tar
pit but your statement above is the er, oil, that gets us out.

Cheers,
Danny.

--
http://danny.ayers.name