Re: Squaring the HTTP-range-14 circle [was Re: Schema.org in RDF ...]

From: Kingsley Idehen <kidehen@openlinksw.com>
Date: Mon, 13 Jun 2011 09:16:11 +0100
To: public-lod@w3.org
On 6/13/11 1:28 AM, Pat Hayes wrote:
> But I don't think all this is really germane to the http-range-14 issue. The point there is, does the URI refer to something like a representation (information resource, website, document, RDF graph, whatever) or something which definitely canNOT be sent over a wire?

The Referent of a URI re., http-range-14 is the observation (or
description) subject. In this context the subject may or may not be a
real world object or entity.

In the context of Linked Data, the observation (or description) subject
URI resolves to a Representation of its Referent. Actual representation
is accessible via an Address. Data representation formats are
*optionally* negotiable e.g., via content negotiation, and ultimately
varied i.e., many serialization formats for byte stream that actually
transmits data from its source to its consumers.

Kingsley Idehen
President&  CEO
OpenLink Software
Web: http://www.openlinksw.com