Re: Hackers - Re: Schema.org considered helpful

From: Henry Story <henry.story@bblfish.net>
Date: Fri, 17 Jun 2011 19:48:24 +0200
Cc: Lin Clark <lin.w.clark@gmail.com>, Bjoern Hoehrmann <derhoermi@gmx.net>, Linked Data community <public-lod@w3.org>, Semantic Web <semantic-web@w3.org>
To: adasal <adam.saltiel@gmail.com>

On 17 Jun 2011, at 19:27, adasal wrote:

> That said the hacker is a various beast,

Indeed, hackers are not angels. But the people on this list should get back to hacking or work together with open source projects to get initial minimal working pieces embedded there. WebID is one; foaf is another, pingback, access control, ...
Get the really simple pieces working.

> and I wonder if this sort of thing can really be addressed without overarching political/ethical/idealogical concerns. It's tough.

It all fits together really nicely. I gave a talk on the philosophy of the Social Web if you are interested.
 http://www.slideshare.net/bblfish/philosophy-and-the-social-web-5583083

Hackers tend to be engineers with a political attitude, so they are more receptive to the bigger picture. But solving the big picture problem should have an easy entry cost if we want to get it going.

I talked to the BBC but they have limited themselves to what they will do in the Social Web space as far as profile hosting goes. Again, I'd start small. Facebook started in universities not that long ago.

Henry

Social Web Architect
http://bblfish.net/