Re: Squaring the HTTP-range-14 circle

On 6/17/11 3:11 PM, Leigh Dodds wrote:
> I just had to go and check whether Amazon reviews and Facebook
> comments actually do have their own pages. That's because I've never
> seen them presented as anything other than objects within another
> container, either in a web page or a mobile app. So I think you could
> argue that when people are "linking" and marking things as useful,
> they're doing that on a more general abstraction, i.e. the "Work" (to
> borrow FRBR terminology) not the particular web page.

You have to apply context to your statement above. Is the context: WWW
as an Information space or Data Space? These contexts can co-exist, but
we need to allow users context-switch, unobtrusively. Thus,  they have
to co-exist, and that's why we have to leverage what the full URI
abstraction delivers. As stated earlier, it doesn't mean others will
follow or understand immediately, you need more than architecture for
that;  hence the need for a broad spectrum of solutions that do things
properly.

President&  CEO
OpenLink Software
Web: http://www.openlinksw.com