W3C home > Mailing lists > Public > public-lod@w3.org > June 2011

Re: Schema.org in RDF ...

From: Michael Hausenblas <michael.hausenblas@deri.org>
Date: Thu, 9 Jun 2011 09:58:53 +0100
Cc: Bernard Vatant <bernard.vatant@mondeca.com>, Linked Data community <public-lod@w3.org>
Message-Id: <90CD02D1-DFB0-4BDD-8D91-07E240D31BEC@deri.org>
To: Giovanni Tummarello <giovanni.tummarello@deri.org>, Patrick Logan <patrickdlogan@gmail.com>

> For how little this matters really - i'd really advice anyone wanting
> to produce RDFa of schema to live with it and use direct
> http://schema.org uris as per their example in RDFa.

+1

Cheers,
	Michael
--
Dr. Michael Hausenblas, Research Fellow
LiDRC - Linked Data Research Centre
DERI - Digital Enterprise Research Institute
NUIG - National University of Ireland, Galway
Ireland, Europe
Tel. +353 91 495730
http://linkeddata.deri.ie/
http://sw-app.org/about.html

On 9 Jun 2011, at 09:54, Giovanni Tummarello wrote:

> my2c
>
> i would seriously advice against using  triples with http://schema.rdfs.org 
>   .
>
> That  would be totally and entirely validating their claim that either
> you impose things or fragmentation will distroy everything and that
> talking to the community is a waste of time.
>
> For how little this matters really - i'd really advice anyone wanting
> to produce RDFa of schema to live with it and use direct
> http://schema.org uris as per their example in RDFa.
>
> Gio
>
> On Tue, Jun 7, 2011 at 9:49 AM, Patrick Logan  
> <patrickdlogan@gmail.com> wrote:
>> Would it be reasonable to use  http://schema.rdfs.org rather than
>> http://schema.org in the URIs? Essentially mirror what one might hope
>> for schema.org to become. Then if it does become that, link the two
>> together?
>>
>>
>> On Tue, Jun 7, 2011 at 1:22 AM, Michael Hausenblas
>> <michael.hausenblas@deri.org> wrote:
>>>> Something I don't understand. If I read well all savvy  
>>>> discussions so far,
>>>> publishers behind http://schema.org URIs are unlikely to ever  
>>>> provide any
>>>> RDF description,
>>>
>>> What makes you so sure about that not one day in the (near?)  
>>> future the
>>> Schema.org URIs will serve RDF or JSON, FWIW, additionally to  
>>> HTML? ;)
>>>
>>> Cheers,
>>>        Michael
>>> --
>>> Dr. Michael Hausenblas, Research Fellow
>>> LiDRC - Linked Data Research Centre
>>> DERI - Digital Enterprise Research Institute
>>> NUIG - National University of Ireland, Galway
>>> Ireland, Europe
>>> Tel. +353 91 495730
>>> http://linkeddata.deri.ie/
>>> http://sw-app.org/about.html
>>>
>>> On 7 Jun 2011, at 08:44, Bernard Vatant wrote:
>>>
>>>> Hi all
>>>>
>>>> Something I don't understand. If I read well all savvy  
>>>> discussions so far,
>>>> publishers behind http://schema.org URIs are unlikely to ever  
>>>> provide any
>>>> RDF description, so why are those URIs declared as identifiers of  
>>>> RDFS
>>>> classes in the http://schema.rdfs.org/all.rdf. For all I can see,
>>>> http://schema.org/Person is the URI of an information resource,  
>>>> not of a
>>>> class.
>>>> So I would rather have expected mirroring of the schema.org URIs by
>>>> schema.rdfs.org URIs, the later fully dereferencable proper RDFS  
>>>> classes
>>>> expliciting the semantics of the former, while keeping the  
>>>> reference to the
>>>> source in some dcterms:source element.
>>>>
>>>> Example, instead of ...
>>>>
>>>> <rdf:Description rdf:about="http://schema.org/Person">
>>>> <rdf:type rdf:resource="http://www.w3.org/2000/01/rdf- 
>>>> schema#Class"/>
>>>> <rdfs:label xml:lang="en">Person</rdfs:label>
>>>> <rdfs:comment xml:lang="en">A person (alive, dead, undead, or
>>>> fictional).</rdfs:comment>
>>>> <rdfs:subClassOf rdf:resource="http://schema.org/Thing"/>
>>>> <rdfs:isDefinedBy rdf:resource="http://schema.org/Person"/>
>>>> </rdf:Description>
>>>>
>>>> where I see a clear abuse of rdfs:isDefinedBy, since if you  
>>>> dereference
>>>> the said URI, you don't find any explicit RDF definition ...
>>>>
>>>> I would rather have the following
>>>>
>>>> <rdf:Description rdf:about="http://schema.rdfs.org/Person">
>>>> <rdf:type rdf:resource="http://www.w3.org/2000/01/rdf- 
>>>> schema#Class"/>
>>>> <rdfs:label xml:lang="en">Person</rdfs:label>
>>>> <rdfs:comment xml:lang="en">A person (alive, dead, undead, or
>>>> fictional).</rdfs:comment>
>>>> <rdfs:subClassOf rdf:resource="http://schema.rdfs.org/Thing"/>
>>>> <dcterms:source rdf:resource="http://schema.org/Person"/>
>>>> </rdf:Description>
>>>>
>>>> To the latter declaration, one could safely add statements like
>>>>
>>>> schema.rdfs:Person rdfs:subClassOf  foaf:Person
>>>>
>>>> etc
>>>>
>>>> Or do I miss the point?
>>>>
>>>> Bernard
>>>>
>>>> 2011/6/3 Michael Hausenblas <michael.hausenblas@deri.org>
>>>>
>>>> http://schema.rdfs.org
>>>>
>>>> ... is now available - we're sorry for the delay ;)
>>>>
>>>> Cheers,
>>>>       Michael
>>>> --
>>>> Dr. Michael Hausenblas, Research Fellow
>>>> LiDRC - Linked Data Research Centre
>>>> DERI - Digital Enterprise Research Institute
>>>> NUIG - National University of Ireland, Galway
>>>> Ireland, Europe
>>>> Tel. +353 91 495730
>>>> http://linkeddata.deri.ie/
>>>> http://sw-app.org/about.html
>>>>
>>>>
>>>>
>>>>
>>>>
>>>> --
>>>> Bernard Vatant
>>>> Senior Consultant
>>>> Vocabulary & Data Integration
>>>> Tel:       +33 (0) 971 488 459
>>>> Mail:     bernard.vatant@mondeca.com
>>>> ----------------------------------------------------
>>>> Mondeca
>>>> 3, cité Nollez 75018 Paris France
>>>> Web:    http://www.mondeca.com
>>>> Blog:    http://mondeca.wordpress.com
>>>> ----------------------------------------------------
>>>
>>>
>>>
>>
>>
Received on Thursday, 9 June 2011 08:59:33 UTC

This archive was generated by hypermail 2.4.0 : Friday, 17 January 2020 16:21:13 UTC