Re: Dataset URIs and metadata.

On 2011-07-21 16:27, Michael Hausenblas wrote:

>> But is this really common practice nowadays? Take DBpedia for
>> example. What is the URI of the DBpedia dataset? Is it
>> http://dbpedia.org? That does not seem to resolve to a set of metadata.
>
> Did you have a look at the URI I gave you? I mean
> http://lod-cloud.net/void.ttl
I had a quick look. But I could not find it. I had a closer look now and
I see the URI probably is http://dbpedia.org/void/Dataset. I have tried
it. Redirection to either HTML or RDF seems to be in place. HTML request
lead to http://dbpedia.org/void/page/Dataset, which shows a table of
VoID properties. The RDF redirection (to
http://dbpedia.org/void/data/Dataset.rdf) does not seem to work, I get
an error.

Apart from the error, somehow this is not what I expected. I assumed
that the dataset URI is /the/ URI of a dataset. It is the key to all
other data. If you want something from a dataset, you only need to know
this URI. So why is the dataset URI hard to find? Why isn't it used when
references are made to DBpedia? Why isn't it the same as the base URI
(http://dbpedia.org)?.

Probably VoID metadata/dataset URIs will be easier to discover once the
/.well-known/void trick (described in paragraph 7.2 of the W3C VoID
document) is widely adopted.