Re: URI Comparisons: RFC 2616 vs. RDF

Martin Hepp wrote:
> On 20.01.2011, at 15:40, Nathan wrote:
>> David Booth wrote:
>>> On Thu, 2011-01-20 at 13:08 +0000, Dave Reynolds wrote:
>>> [ . . . ]

>>> This advice sounds like an excellent candidate for publication in a best
>>> practices document.  And if it is merely best practice guidance, perhaps
>>> that *is* something that the new RDF working group could address.
>>
>> +1 from me, address at the publishing phase, allow at the consuming
>> phase, keep comparison simple.
>
> I am not sure whether you are also talking of RDFa, but in case you do,
> I would like to add the following:

Hi Martin,

Yes (re RDFa), see: http://webr3.org/urinorm/2 - all the browsers do the
normalization so you can't even get to the non-normalized URI.

in a browser you'll note that all the URIs get normalized automatically,
in that it's impossible to programmatically access the "correct" casing.
That's a problem.

if you run it through the RDFa distiller at w3.org [2] you'll find:

   <htTp://WEBR3.org/urinorm/2> dc:creator <http://WEBR3.org/nathan#me> .

   <http://WEBR3.org/urinorm/2#example> dc:title "URI Normalization
Example 2" .

note one of the URIs (the one which required relative path resolution)
has the scheme normalised.

if you run if through check.rdfa.info you'll find that all the URIs are
normalized. [3]

if you run it through sigma [4] you'll find everything has been
normalized. You can also see an RDF view of this [5]

if you run it through URI Burner [6], you'll find that /some/ URIs have
been normalized. It's also worth noting that this caused all kinds of
problems - I ended up having to create a new resource at this point w/
some RDF & N3 to test URI Burner:

   http://webr3.org/urinorm/3

which lead to the empty [7] then I figured I'd try [8] and if you click
the creator ( htTp://WEBR3.org/nathan#me ) since in this case there's no
normalization (not it was normalized in [6]) you get a 400 Bad Request [9].

and so on and so forth - far from ideal.

Best,

Nathan

[1] http://www.rdfabout.com/demo/validator/ (normalizes all RDF URIs)
[2] http://www.w3.org/2007/08/pyRdfa/