Re: Is it best practices to use a rdfs:seeAlso link to a potentially multimegabyte PDF?, existing predicate for linking to PDF?

Thanks to everyone.

I fixed the issues with wdrs:describedby, used dcterms:hasFormat to link to
the PDF the #OriginalDescription section now shows.

<txn:SpeciesOriginalDescription rdf:about="
http://lod.taxonconcept.org/ses/v6n7p#OriginalDescription">
 <!-- Ideally, this should link to a resource in the Biodiversity Heritage
Library -->
 <dcterms:title>Original Published Description relating to Species Concept
Puma concolor se:v6n7p</dcterms:title>
 <dcterms:identifier>
http://lod.taxonconcept.org/ses/v6n7p#OriginalDescription
</dcterms:identifier>
 <dcterms:description>LOD metadata about the original species description
relating to Species Concept Puma concolor se:v6n7p</dcterms:description>
 <dcterms:isPartOf rdf:resource="
http://lod.taxonconcept.org/ses/v6n7p#Species"/>
 <dcterms:creator rdf:resource="http://dbpedia.org/resource/Carl_Linnaeus"/>
 <txn:hasBasionymName>Felis concolor Linnaeus 1771</txn:hasBasionymName>
 <dcterms:created rdf:datatype="http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema#gYear
">1771</dcterms:created>
 <dcterms:hasFormat rdf:resource="
http://assets.geospecies.org/spec_concept_uuid/603bebac-cc44-4168-bbf7-b11b976f9d79/Felis_concolor_Linnaeus_1771.pdf
"/>
 <txn:speciesOriginalDescriptionHasSpeciesConcept rdf:resource="
http://lod.taxonconcept.org/ses/v6n7p#Species"/>
 <!-- There should be a type specimen. Add link to GBIF via
'txn:sodHasTypeSpecimen' if they know about it. -->
 <wdrs:describedby rdf:resource="http://lod.taxonconcept.org/ses/v6n7p.rdf
"/>
</txn:SpeciesOriginalDescription>

<rdf:Description rdf:about="
http://assets.geospecies.org/spec_concept_uuid/603bebac-cc44-4168-bbf7-b11b976f9d79/Felis_concolor_Linnaeus_1771.pdf
">
 <dcterms:format>application/pdf</dcterms:format>
</rdf:Description>

Here is the link to the entire RDF for this species
http://lod.taxonconcept.org/ses/v6n7p.rdf

I have updated the CKAN information http://ckan.net/package/taxonconcept

<http://ckan.net/package/taxonconcept>and the void
http://lod.taxonconcept.org/ontology/void.rdf

The RDF dump files have been updated.

<http://lod.taxonconcept.org/ontology/void.rdf>The semantic sitemap is here
http://lod.taxonconcept.org/sitemap.xml.gz

<http://lod.taxonconcept.org/sitemap.xml.gz>I still have not figured out the
best way to generate the interlink counts but the CKAN numbers are close.

There are probably still errors or suboptimal semantic markup in these or
their related ontology.

I would welcome any suggestions or comments on ways to make these better.

With each iteration I have been trying to add additional information that
makes it easier to determine what is a and what is not an instance of one of
the species concepts.

It will take a while for these to get to what they should be.

Thanks Again,

Respectfully,

- Pete

On Mon, Jan 10, 2011 at 9:01 AM, Tim Berners-Lee <timbl@w3.org> wrote:

> It is well to look at and make best practices for the things
> we have if we don't
>
> It was the FOAF folks who, initially, instead of using linked data,
> used an Inverse Functional Property to uniquely identify
> someone and then rdfs:seeAlso to find the data about them.
> So any FOAF browser has to look up the seeAlso  or they
> don't follow any links.
>
> So tabulator always when looking up x and finding x see:also y will
> load y.  So must any similar client or any crawler.
>
> So there is a lot of existing use we would throw away if we
> allowed rdfs:seeAlso for pointing to things which do not
> provide data. (It isn't the question of conneg or mime type,
> that is a red herring. it is whether there is machine-redable
> standards-based stuff about x).
>
> Further, we should not make any weaker properties like seeDocumentation
> subproperties of see:Also, or they would imply
> We maybe need a very weak top property like
>
> mayHaveSomeKindOfInfoAboutThis
>
> to be the superProperty of all the others.
>
> One things which could be stronger than seeAlso is definedBy if it
> is normally used for data, to point to the definitive ontology.
> That would then imply seeAlso.
>
> Tim

Pete DeVries
Department of Entomology