Re: Proposal to assess the quality of Linked Data sources

Hi Bernard,

Am 25.02.2011 23:53, schrieb Bernard Vatant:
> Hi Annika
>
>         - "A vocabulary is said to be established, if it is one of the
>         100 most popular vocabularies stated on pre x.cc" - uhm, as
>         the results from Richard's evaluation have, this is quite arguable
>
>     It's a practical way to determine it (which I can use for the
>     implementation of the formalism). Another way would be to compare
>     many documents from many data sources and to find out, which
>     vocabularies are most popular.
>

> I'm particularly interested in this aspect of vocabulary selection.
> Regarding popularity, I fully go along with Bob regarding prefix.cc in
> which all sorts of biases can be introduced. I think the popularity is
> better measured by the use of vocabularies in CKAN datasets, as
> indicated by "format-*" tags. See http://ckan.net/tag/?page=F and for
> example http://ckan.net/tag/format-bibo or
> http://ckan.net/tag/format-foaf.
As I used the CKAN datasets to infer a lot about the quality aspects I
mentioned, it seems very reasonable to use the format-tags. However,
they don't seem to be very exhaustive, as for example DBpedia is not
tagged with format-dbpprop. Therefore, analyzing the cache mentioned by
Kingsley might be more revealing.** I'll add that to my thesis.

> Another approach I'm currently working on is the one you can find at
> http://labs.mondeca.com/dataset/lov. The description of interlinked
> vocabularies (using VOAF vocabulary) provide indication of popularity
> at the vocabulary level itself. From this dataset (still far from
> exhaustive of course) you can see which vocabularies are reused,
> extended, used for annotation by other ones. I think the density of
> links to and from a vocabulary to other ones gives a good indicator of
> its "establishment", in combination with the number of datasets
> actually using it.
Interesting work, I'll try to use this in my thesis!