Re: CAS, DUNS and LOD (was Re: Cost/Benefit Anyone? Re: Vote for my Semantic Web presentation at SXSW)

Hi,

On 23 August 2011 15:17, Gannon Dick <gannon_dick@yahoo.com> wrote:
> Either "Linked Data ecosystem" or "linked data Ecosystem" is a dangerously flawed paradigm, IMHO.  You don't "improve" MeSH by
> flattening it, for example, it is what it is. Since CAS numbers are not a directed graph, an algorithmic transform to a URI (which *is* a
> directed graph) is risks the creation of a "new" irreconcilable taxonomy.  For example, Nitrogen is ok to breathe and liquid Nitrogen is a
> not very practical way to chill wine.

A URI isn't a directed graph. You can use them to build one by making
statements though.

Setting aside any copyright issues, the CAS identifiers are useful
Natural Keys [1]. As they're well deployed, using them to create URIs
[2] is sensible as it simplifies the process of linking between
datasets [3].

To answer Patrick's question, to help bridging between systems that
only use the original literal version, rather than the URIs, then we
should ensure that the literal keys are included in the data [4].

These are well deployed patterns and, from my experience, make it
really simple and easy to bridge and link between different datasets
and systems.

Cheers,

L.

[1]. http://patterns.dataincubator.org/book/natural-keys.html