Re: How To Do Deal with the Subjective Issue of Data Quality?

Note: my response is only going to public-lod because I wanted to
choose just one, I subscribe to it, and this is where "data quality"
takes on new, well, qualities, from it's more typical application
within a single enterprise.

On Thu, Apr 7, 2011 at 11:06 AM, Kingsley Idehen <kidehen@openlinksw.com> wrote:

> Personally, I subscribe to the doctrine that "data quality" is like "beauty"
> it lies strictly in the eyes of the beholder i.e., a function of said
> beholders "context lenses".

First and foremost is the "eyes of the beholder" have to set different
expectations for public LOD than they would for something like
"enterprise LOD".

Ideally each source of data would publish something about their DQ
goals and current status, so consumers have an idea what to expect and
where improvements may be heading.

As a community, public LOD providers and consumers have to discuss the
quality of these various sources and the implications for things such
as "same as" and "counting". A foundation for that are the
specifications of the public data and how to specify aspects of
quality, and how to *publish* that DQ information in a consumable
way... make DQ statements part of the public LOD.

-Patrick