Re: Next version of the LOD cloud diagram. Please provide input, so that your dataset is included.

Hi Alan,

CKAN is a repository for all kinds of datasets. Even if datasets are not open or only for non-commercial use, they can be listed and information on licensing can be noted (Other - Closed, e.g.). This is still a valuable information.
If no license is specified or we did not find the license information, CKAN lists the datasets as "not open".
Leigh Dodds had a closer look at the licenses of the LOD datasets some time ago [1]. It is sad but true that only about 23% of all datasets come along with a clearly defined license.

Hopefully data publishers will more clearly state the licenses along with their datasets to encourage people to use their data.

Cheers,
Anja

[1] http://iswc2009.semanticweb.org/wiki/index.php/ISWC_2009_Tutorials/Legal_and_Social_Frameworks_for_Sharing_Data_on_the_Web#Slides

>>> leigh.dodds@talis.com