Re: Call for Chapters: Linking Government Data

  On 10/7/10 1:53 PM, Bernadette Hyland wrote:
> Hi Kingsley,
> I hope the following context answers your question since I'm familiar
> with the details ...

Bernadette,

> In the spirit of transparency, we are looking for ways to raise the
> profile of successful projects in order to increase credibility of the
> SemWeb/LD community. A book like this doesn't generate the editor or
> authors money per se, rather it raises the profile of these projects &
> builds towards our common objectives in a credible manner.
>
> Author's individual names were listed in the table of contents with
> the chapter title, *not* their affiliation or organization.  We hope
> the book will be very representative of all nations involved in
> Linking Data, including their motivations, approaches and lessons
> learned.  The first book (LED) is very diverse IMO.
>
> But back to the money since we are talking transparency. The editor
> will do most of the work upfront (call for papers, coordination, peer
> review, mark up, etc).  The editor then finds a suitable publisher,
> enter into a contract, negotiate the details on publication timeline,
> rights, fees, etc.    In the case of the LED book, Dave stands to earn
> < $10/hr for the hours he spent organizing the call for chapters,
> working with at least three peers to review/edit each chapter, putting
> the book into LaTeX, etc.  It is a labor of love so to speak ....
>
> I doubt Springer will make the NY Times best seller list  with the
> Linking Enterprise Data book[1], but when books and conferences happen
> around a topic, it is perceived as having a market which helps
> legitimize our efforts.
>
> We promise to continue looking for innovative ways to make content
> like this available for linked data producers & consumers, as are more
> & more people each day around the world.

All good, re. clarity. But note some assumptions that nobody has control
over:

1. Springer making the NY Times best seller list -- we are in
exponential times, Linked Data is hot, and the InterWeb is redefining
Media amongst other things, it could be a best seller

2. Labor of love -- still a case of dealing with that scarce resource we
know as "Time", all contributors should be clear about this aspect from
the get-go

3. Attribution -- it's highly likely that most contributors to this book
also possess WebIDs, so why not consider Attribution by WebID in
addition to Literal Names?

> As John said, it is entirely up to you if you wish to contribute but
> *no one* is editing and/or writing a chapter for the money.

John: was reacting (I believe) rather than responding to my comment.
You've just responded to my comment :-)

An opaque and inherently ambiguous project participation call-out has
now morphed into a much clearer endeavor -- I hope -- with regards to
all potential  participants.

Kingsley

> Cheers,
>
> Bernadette Hyland
> CEO, Talis, Inc.
> www.talis.com <http://www.talis.com>
> Tel. +1-540-898-6410
>
> [1]
> http://www.springer.com/computer/database+management+%26+information+retrieval/book/978-1-4419-7664-2
>
> On Oct 7, 2010, at 12:21 PM, Kingsley Idehen wrote:
>
>> On 10/7/10 11:42 AM, John Erickson wrote:
>>> Will all due respect, as with any monograph this is a call to
>>> *contribute*; the benefits if accepted are being part of an important
>>> work. Recipients are free to not submit!
>>
>> John,
>>
>> My question still stands? Who benefits from the sale of the book? No
>> harm in investing a little more time about the expanse of the value
>> chain graph.
>>
>> Time is money. Time is a fixed component that is eternally scarce.
>> Time is the ultimate problem. From these problems come opportunities
>> and opportunity costs.
>>
>> People don't always have enough time to figure our the density of any
>> given value graph or its superficial value chain. Finding out vital
>> details  *after* you've committed time and effort typically leads to
>> bad-will.
>>
>> Let's be clear about this stuff. That's all I seek. Transparency
>> hasn't killed anyone or made enemies of friends, not the case with
>> opacity!
>>
>> Kingsley

>> --
>>
>> Regards,