Re: overstock.com adds GoodRelations in RDFa to 900,000 item pages

  On 10/7/10 11:56 AM, Paul Houle wrote:
> On Wed, Oct 6, 2010 at 5:09 PM, Martin Hepp
> <martin.hepp@ebusiness-unibw.org
> <mailto:martin.hepp@ebusiness-unibw.org>> wrote:
>     I've got mixed feelings about "snippets" vs "fully embeded RDFa".
> For the most part I think systems that use snippets will be more
> maintainable,  but I've seen cases where fully embedded RDFa fits very
> well into a system and there may be cases where the size of the HTML
> can be reduced by using it -- and HTML size is a big deal in the real
> world where loading time matters and we're increasingly targeting
> mobile devices.
>     The RDFa issue that really bugs me is that a linked data URI can
> be read to signify a number of different things.  Consider,  for instance,
> http://dbpedia.org/resource/Rainbow_Bridge_(Tokyo)
> <http://dbpedia.org/resource/Rainbow_Bridge_%28Tokyo%29>
> (i) This is a string.  It has a length.  It uses a particular subset
> of available characters
> (ii) This is a URI.  It has a scheme,  it has a host,  path,  might
> have a # in it,  query strings,  all that;  a number of assertions can
> be made about it as a URI
> (iii) This is a document.

The URI resolves to a Resource at the address (URL):
<http://dbpedia.org/page/Rainbow_Bridge_(Tokyo)>, that's
projected/presented via a browser to users as a Document.
>   We can assert the "content-type" of this document (or at least one
> version we've negotiated),  we can assert it's charset,  length in
> bytes,  length in characters,  particular subset of available
> characters used,  number of triples asserted directly in the
> document,  the number of triples we can infer by applying certain
> rules to this in connection with a certain knowledgebase,  and on and on
> (iv) This is about a wikipedia article (some wikipedia articles don't
> map cleanly to a named entity)
> (v) This is about a named entity
<http://dbpedia.org/page/Rainbow_Bridge_(Tokyo)> is a Descriptor
Resource associated with an Entity that has an HTTP URI based Name.
> The more I think about it,  the more I it bugs me,  and it's all the
> worse when you've using RDFa and you've got HTML documents.

Only if you don't share the view points I've just added :-)
> For instance,  you could clearly see
> http://ookaboo.com/o/pictures/topic/28999/Beijing
> as a signifier for a city.  Some people would make the assertion that
> dbpedia:Beijing owl:sameAs ookaboo:topic/28999/Beijing.
> and that's not entirely stupid.  On the other hand,  it's definitely
> true that
> ookaboo:topic/28999/Beijing is sioc:ImageGallery.
> Put something true together with a practice that's common and you get
> the absurd result that
> dbpedia:Beijing is sioc:ImageGallery.

Hopefully my response clears this all up, at least a little :-)

President&  CEO
OpenLink Software
Web: http://www.openlinksw.com
Twitter/Identi.ca: kidehen