Re: Possible Idea For a Sem Web Based Game?

On Sun, 21 Nov 2010 20:43:34 +0800
Joshua Shinavier <josh@fortytwo.net> wrote:

> 1) a "node" should not be *only* a location, but should also include a
> game-specific context. E.g. instead of a node for "London", have a
> node for "running from zombies in London", with a geo:location link to
> the DBpedia resource for London.

Yep, that's certainly the idea. A node is equivalent to a page in the
CYOA books; not just a physical location. A node may in fact describe a
long journey and so describe many locations.

The fact that my test nodes correspond with locations is entirely a
consequence of the lack of effort and imagination I put into them.

> 2) give nodes opaque URIs, so that if you're "playing" the game in a
> generic browser like Tabulator which reveals the URIs, it doesn't ruin
> the surprise.  E.g. <node2> instead of <eaten-by-a-grue>. For the same
> reason, it might be best to have one node per document, rather than
> several nodes in the same document

Certainly - you don't want to give away a surprise twist in a URI.
But also maybe the game client could help obfuscate the node URIs a
little. e.g. instead of ?Node=<uri> use ?Node=<base64-uri> in links.

> Here's the beginning of a game which links (by way of another node)
> into Toby's examples:
>
>     http://fortytwo.net/2010/11/game/wowbagger1

Yay!

--