Re: RDB to RDF & ontology terms reuse

From: Ted Thibodeau Jr <tthibodeau@openlinksw.com>
Date: Tue, 9 Nov 2010 21:06:31 -0500
Cc: Leigh Dodds <leigh.dodds@talis.com>, "public-lod@w3.org" <public-lod@w3.org>
To: Christian Rivas <chris.rivas.lod@gmail.com>
On Nov 5, 2010, at 7:54 PM, Christian Rivas <chris.rivas.lod@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi Leigh
>
> you are absolutely right but what happen if I need to reuse
> a ontology term that belong to a different Domain
> as I exemplify before?
>
> Should I map Actor with foaf:Person and vcard:VCard and dbpedia:Actor classes?
>
> Thanks for your help

Sure! There are no rules anywhere that say you can or should only use one ontology -- and in fact this is why there's the whole xmlns rigmarole.

If you do have one ontology that does everything you need, great -- that can lower confusion for people and minimize server requests when dereferencing those terms. But if you don't? Cherry-pick the terms that make the most sense from however many ontologies you need.

RDF was made for sparse data -- and it can handle everything you've laid out here.

Be seeing you,

Ted

Sent from my iPhone, which doesn't have my .sig files