Re: isDefinedBy and isDescribedBy, Tale of two missing predicates

Toby Inkster wrote:
> If you are using the URI <http://example.com/foo#mars> to represent a
> planet, then you should not use the same URI to represent an HTML
> element, as it's likely that the set of HTML elements and the set of
> planets are disjoint. (In Aug 2006 the IAU finally settled on a
> definition of planets that at least seems to exclude HTML elements from
> being planets in their own right.)
>
> Given that the planet Mars and your HTML element are in disjoint sets,
> they must be separate entities so must not share a URI.

Or you could consider, as was suggested recently, that the HTML element
is a _representation_ of the planet Mars. Then
document.getElementById('mars') would only manipulate the representation,
not the resource. Whether an HTML fragment is an adequate representation
for a planet is another debate though...

Tore Eriksson

Tore Eriksson [tore.eriksson at po.rd.taisho.co.jp]