Re: isDefinedBy and isDescribedBy, Tale of two missing predicates

From: Ian Davis <lists@iandavis.com>
Date: Fri, 5 Nov 2010 15:53:34 +0000
To: nathan@webr3.org
Cc: Leigh Dodds <leigh.dodds@talis.com>, Dave Reynolds <dave.e.reynolds@gmail.com>, "public-lod@w3.org" <public-lod@w3.org>
On Fri, Nov 5, 2010 at 3:29 PM, Nathan <nathan@webr3.org> wrote:
> Better clear that up, noticed that it's an age old XHTML-RDFa potential
> issue, so I'll see if we can get it covered in the WG and relay back to the
> TAG to hopefully clear the issue.

Suppose I assign the ID 'mars' to represent the planet mars in my RDFa
document. I can then refer to it using http://example.com/foo#mars.
What does it mean when my javascript calls
document.getElementById('mars')? Should I expect now to manipulate the
planet mars?

This is an analagous dilemma as for slash URIs except the domain is
html + javascript rather than http.

Just like your claimed slash URI problems, in practice it is a
non-issue because people don't really expect to manipulate planets
with javascript. Some dumb machine might assume that in the future but
 they are going to make a lot of similar mistakes that will cause a
lot more problems.

Ian