Re: Migrating from slash to fragment

Toby Inkster wrote:
> On Fri, 14 May 2010 17:53:50 +0100
> Nathan <nathan@webr3.org> wrote:
>
>> I'm wondering if there are any recommended paths for migrating RDF or
>> specifically an ontology from slash to fragment URIs (?)
>
> Cool URIs don't change.

Several months later..

UnCool URIs might have to change, so how would one go about it,
specifically scoped to Vocabs/Ontologies at the minute.

Let's use FOAF as an example.

My gut feeling is to create a new Ontology, the same but using
fragments, make it available at a new URI, then encourage people to use
that instead.

As for BC and migration, have the relevant
replaces/obsoletes/isReplacedBy/equivalentTo in both ontologies, then
wait for migration to happen. You certainly remove the existing FOAF
ontology, but why can't you migrate to a new one?

Surely, on this web of ours, we must have a way to correct mistakes,
upgrade things or change designs.

Best,

Nathan