Re: Is 303 really necessary?

On Thu, Nov 4, 2010 at 2:13 PM, Kingsley Idehen <kidehen@openlinksw.com> wrote:
> Ian,
>
> Q: Is 303 really necessary?
>
> A: Yes, it is.
>
> Why? Read on...

I don't think you explain this in your email.

> What's the problem with having many options re. mechanics for associating an
> HTTP based Entity Name with a Descriptor Resource Address?

Do you mean associate a resource with a description? Or do you mean
something else? Can you rephrase using the terminology that everyone
else uses please.

> We shouldn't be narrowing options for implementing the fundamental essence
> of Linked Data -- hypermedia based data representation. Of course, we can
> discuss and debate individual, product, or organization preferences etc..
> But please lets not push these as mandates. We should never mandate that
> 303's are bad, never. Its an implementation detail, no more no less.

I'm suggesting that we relax a mandate to always use 303 and since
you're saying we must not narrow options then you seem to be
supporting my suggestion,

> The only thing that should be mandatory re. Linked Data is this:  HTTP based
> Entity Names should Resolve to structured Descriptors that are Human and/or
> Machine decipherable.

Are you saying that requesting a URI should return a description document?

> Ironically, bearing in mind my comments, we do arrive at the same
> conclusion, but in different ways. I phrase my conclusion as: heuristics for
> implementing HTTP based Entity Names that Resolve to structured Descriptor
> Resources shouldn't dominate the Linked Data narrative, especially as
> comprehension of the fundamental concept remains mercurial.

So are you contradicting your answer at the start of the post?

> --
>
> Regards,
>
> Kingsley Idehen

Ian