Re: Migrating from slash to fragment

From: KangHao Lu (Kenny) <kennyluck@csail.mit.edu>
Date: Tue, 18 May 2010 19:39:02 +0900
To: ML public-lod <public-lod@w3.org>

On 2010/05/16, at 5:00, Nathan wrote:

> Toby Inkster wrote:
>> On Fri, 14 May 2010 17:53:50 +0100
>> Nathan <nathan@webr3.org> wrote:
>>> I'm wondering if there are any recommended paths for migrating RDF
>>> or specifically an ontology from slash to fragment URIs (?)
>> Cool URIs don't change.

Indeed. But several reasons we might want a canonical way to change
URIs:
- Slash URI requires more HTTP round trips
- For documents we have 301
- I personally don't like this owl:sameAs culture. Try to use only one
URI for each thing could encourage cross domain links

TimBL uses the term http://www.w3.org/2000/10/swap/pim/contact# and has

"""
tim:i con:preferredURI "http://www.w3.org/People/Berners-Lee/card#i".
"""
in his FOAF.

I think this can be generalized and it shouldn't be con:preferredURI
but something like link:preferredURI.

For example, foaf:maker and dc:creator are considered equivalent in
the FOAF spec. So in the RDF ontology of FOAF, maybe there should be

"""foaf:maker link:preferredURI "http://purl.org/dc/terms/creator". """
in the ontology.

Any thoughts?

Cheers,