HTTPS URI:s

From: Niklas Lindström <lindstream@gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 18 May 2010 12:21:41 +0200
To: Linked Data community <public-lod@w3.org>
Hi all!

Does there exist any advice regarding whether HTTPS URI:s constitute
good identifiers (canonical URI:s)? Or is the HTTPS protocol an
implementation detail better led to via redirection, HTTP Upgrade or
similar?

And would it be fair to claim that non-HTTPS URI:s are "potentially
harmful" due to the risk of man-in-the-middle attacks? Or is (e.g.)
HTTPS not enough by itself (since trusting a certificate is still up
to the carefulness of clients), so it would be moot to promote it by
itself in Linked Data scenarios? I suppose that using HTTPS for each
URI leads to higher demands on the publisher, but I'd prefer more
solid arguments for/against recommending it..

Best regards,
Niklas